Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Kumbu and Kuchu

 In a small village lived two men called Kumbu and Kuchu. They were best of friends and were always seen together. They used to go to the nearby villages to earn their living.Once they were returning home from another village when they met a rich man. The man gave them some flour. They decided to bake pancakes for their dinner out of the flour. When they reached home they prepared pancakes and counted them. There were seven pancakes. They ate two each pieces for dinner and kept three remaining pieces for their breakfast.
Before they went to sleep, they wanted to share the remaining piece equally between themselves. Both wanted to eat 2 pieces for breakfast which resulted in a quarrel. Finally they decided that the one with a best dream would eat all the three cakes. And then went sleep so that they could dream the best dream.
When Kumbu was fast asleep, kuchu could not sleep and started worrying about the beautiful dream for the next morning. When he could not think of one, he quickly got up and ate all the three pancakes and went back to sleep.
The friends woke up the following morning and Kumbu started narrating his beautiful dream. “Look!  I dreamt that I had gone to heaven. There was a huge gathering and dances were performed to entertain me. People were dressed in splendid clothes and everyone was wishing me happiness. They offered me plate full of cake which was covered in butter and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Now, isn’t it a grand dream? Should I not eat the left over pancakes? Now tell me your dreams” said Kumbu.
Kuchu quickly thought and said “I dreamt of a devil who was threatening to kill me unless I finished off the cake that was left”. When Kumbu heard that, he shouted, “what! Have you eaten all the cake?” Kuchu answered, ‘what could I do? I had to finish it otherwise I would have been beaten to death”. “Why didn’t you wake me up?” shouted Kumbu to which Kuchu replied “How could I wake you up? You had gone to heaven and you were enjoying there. I could not disturb you”. Kumbu did not know what to say. He cursed himself for not being clever enough to tell a better story. However, the two friends had a hearty laugh and admitted to each other that none of them had a dream.
They learned a lesson to share everything equally and stopped telling lies to each other.

No comments: